Student visa Tier 4: guide for undergraduate and post-graduate courses in UK

guide for undergraduate and post-graduate courses in UK

A Tier 4 visa is issued to study in the UK for undergraduate and post-graduate courses, including Masters and PhDs.  The follow article provides detailed information on the Tier 4 application process and requirements for students to apply overseas:

– The student should apply for Tier 4 Visa in the country where he lives, prior to travelling to the UK unless he is already in the UK holding a valid visa that permits he to make an application.

– The maximum time permitted for study at degree level is 5 years.  The student can enter the country one month before the beginning of the course and can stay for up to 4 months after the end of his studies if his course lasts more than 12 months. There are some exceptions to this rule, including students applying for a Tier 4 visa to study a PhD course and students who studied a 4 year undergraduate degree course in Scotland.

– The student needs to have an offer or a sponsorship from an education institution accredited by the UK Immigration Agency

– As part of the application, the student will be required to provide his biometrics (facial photograph and fingerprints).  The student will be asked to contact the nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate to do this.

– The candidate could be required to attend a credibility interview at the visa application centre.  This is a very important part of the visa application, so we advise the student to research the course he is applying to, the University and what are his plans after completing the course.

– The Home Office/UKVI specifies how much money the student needs for his course fees and living costs while he is in the UK.  The student is required to have money for living costs of £11,385 (based on £1,265 per month if your course lasts 9 months or more) if he is studying in inner London. If he is studying elsewhere in the UK, the living costs are £9,135 (based on £1,015 per month, for a period of 9 months)

– The student must have enough money to pay for the course fees for the first year of his course, or the entire course if it is less than 1 year long.

– Students on certain postgraduate courses leading to a Masters or Doctorate level qualification will need an ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) certificate to study in the UK.

– Some students need to provide an English language qualification. The IELTS test is the only approved test overseas. It must have been taken within the last 2 years and have a UKVI unique reference number.

– For long-term English courses (over 11 months) it is also necessary to obtain a Tier 4 visa

If you have any questions about the above information or would like to apply for the Tier 4 visa, please contact us.  LondonHelp4U has 18 years of experience in visas for the UK. Call 020 7636 8500, Whatsapp +44 78 9176 4830 or send an email to Helping people is our mission. How may we help you?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *